Friday, May 12, 2017

As One Door Closes Another One Opens

Today we received a video call with our new Branch President in Košice, Slovakia. It seems the more we talk to those in the mission field the more excited we are to go. Today, I felt the spirit confirm to me the “influence of one” is needed in Slovakia. One person can do so much to improve the life of another and to find ways to serve others. I have learned, “As I have loved you love one another” (John 13:34). Greg and I definitely need to be going to serve this Mission at this time.


I never consider myself sentimental, but as the day approaches to leave, I am beginning to feel very emotional about the changes taking place. I am realizing that I will miss many “things” that I have come to accept and take for granted; my children and grandchildren, temple sessions, my friends, my church, and family reunions. I will miss hot summer evenings, road signs in English, dinner groups, and mild winters. I might even miss a clothes dryer and online shopping.


Although, I will miss so much here at home in Las Vegas, I will not be deterred. I have decided to take a new and exciting road, a new journey to travel. After all, there are creative ways to cope with missing loved ones. For example, I have learned about Skype which is almost as good as being in person, except you can’t hug a screen.


I know the rewards will far outweigh what I will leave behind. Serving a mission will open new doors to new opportunities, new adventures, and new challenges. It will increase my faith in Jesus Christ, my testimony of the Atonement, and my love for others.


Throughout my life I have been taught, watched over, and protected for this very purpose. When I was an infant my sister dropped me head first onto the concrete foundation (accident of course). At eight years old, I lived eight months in a Army tent through cold winter in Oregon. At fifteen, I survived a rollover vehicle accident in Arkansas.  In my early adulthood, I lived in rural Nevada without water or electricity for an extended period of time. As a single mother, I worked long hours to provide and care for my minor children. And I survived two divorces. Yes, I have endured many hard things.


Why do we endure hard things in our life? Could it be we are preparing ourselves to endure things to come in the future? of course. I will be able to leave my comforts and serve a mission as the Lord has already helped me overcome many hard things.

The Lord has answered prayers and opened doors for us to make this mission possible.  “As one door closes another one opens.” Greg and I will walk through another door Monday morning. Until we meet again. Hugs to all my loved ones. In my absence may God watch over and care for you. Farewell!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great example of faith by you and your husband. We love you, Elder and Sister Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wish and pray for the very best for you both. How you will bless lives!
    RaNae

    ReplyDelete