Sunday, November 26, 2017

How Will You Light the World?


This past Thursday was Thanksgiving, a major holiday in America and it kicks off the holiday season. It's one of the few holidays where you have four days off in a row. But in Europe, of course, no one celebrates this holiday.

Although, I would have loved to spend time with my family for Thanksgiving, instead we invited over seven young men and women.
Our American holiday was spent with others away from their home as well, a Czech, a Canadian, Slovak, Hawaiian, and 3 others from America. We shared family holiday traditions and things that we are personally thankful for and dinner.

At first, I didn't think I could find traditional Thanksgiving food in Slovakia, but I was pleasantly surprised that almost everything I needed was found, or at least a close substitute.
Can you believe, I couldn't find pumpkin puree, canned cranberries, cream cheese,evaporated milk, brown sugar, raspberry jello, or a whole turkey. I had to substitute all of these ingredients for something close, like whole chickens instead of turkey. So, I want my friends and family to know I was able to enjoy all the regular Thanksgiving dinner items with all the trimmings.

It's amazing how resourceful Google and Pinterest are when trusted recipes need adjustments due to lack of regular ingredients. It's one of the great things about the internet. Like how to make jello from unflavored gelatin and raspberry jam.

As we enter the Christmas season, I would like to turn your attention to the Savior. During His ministry on the earth, Jesus Christ spent His time serving and helping others. True disciples of Jesus Christ do likewise. The Savior said, "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:35)

Each Christmas, we celebrate the life of Jesus Christ, the light of the world.Light the World. By following His teachings, we let His light shine - in our lives and in the lives of others. This year, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a Christmas service project called "Light the World, in 25 ways over 25 days." Join me in giving time, talents, and resources during the month of December. Share the Light of Christ by doing little acts of kindness for someone each day. It's an invitation to serve others as the Savior did. I will be watching for opportunities to serve others each day in December. I hope you will join this great cause to bring Light to the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment