Monday, June 11, 2018

Handmade in Slovakia

Handmade is more than just products. It connects people with ideas and creativity.


This is how I pass some of my free time. These creations are original and given as gifts.


I am certainly impressed by all the hand made folk crafts and clothing in Slovakia. I was able to get my hands on a sewing machine and the ideas started flowing.


I discovered a fabric store and another that sells traditional ribbons and laces.


I wanted to make something homemade, so I started with two meters of blueprint fabric. Blueprint is a special technique of dyeing linen cloth, using a mixture of kaolin and Arabic and a cold dyeing solution. When exposed to oxygen in the air, the cloth changes to blue.


The original thought was to sew my granddaughters an apron. But when I looked around I saw so many inspiring examples of beautiful wearable folk art. These beautiful ladies are my daughters, who came to Slovakia for a visit in May. 
You can't sew Slovak textiles without incorporating some traditional woven ribbon. It is sewn on every Slovak traditional folklore piece of clothing. 


Textile art has simple design, including folk motifs with a culture message.

Handmade work is appreciated by people who know what it entails and who can rate the uniqueness of the product, because each piece is original.


No comments:

Post a Comment